Tuesday 5 August 2008

Databases - JSTOR

For my third database I decided to use JSTOR. With almost four million articles, almost two million of which are full-text, I was sure JSTOR would have a high chance of good recall. I decided to use a specific facet first search since the database is so large, which would hopefully give me enough results where I would not need to continue searching. Because previous searches of other databases had returned so little on Boarding Schools, I decided to include that in my search term. I searched for full-text articles under the heading "boarding school library".


The search returned 2620 hits and so I narrowed it further by including the term "academics" linked by an AND operator. This only returned 144 hits, of which one really caught my eye. It was an article from 1996 by a school board member who was discussing the change in research.

No comments: