Tuesday 5 August 2008

Databases - DIALOG

As an assignment for my class I needed to search four databases for information related to my topic. This is the first of the four posts.

For DIALOG (accessible at www.dialog.com)I used a building block search which returned many more options than I could have easily browsed through. Had I not worried about the nature of the database to bill by the minute I would have spent much more time refining my search terms once I was comfortable with the setup. However, as it was, I feel that I would have been hard pressed to narrow the terms further without drastically reducing recall (of which other databases are sorely lacking). My search is as follows:


The results were not exactly as I would have wanted but they did all deal with technology in learning. Of the first few results, the sixth hit was the one most appealing to me. It seemed to have the most bearing on the need behind the search.

No comments: